Friday, March 14, 2008

The Blog Begins....

Fresh off a five mile sprint I figured its time to christen the new blog.  Actually, I should say the only blog as this is my first one.  I have my friends to thank for that.  I don't read blogs really, a few here and there, but might as well give it a go.  This blog will mostly be about my experiences on the way to becoming a doctor.  It will also highlight my different hobbies; poker, triathlons, friends, and whatever else I feel like discussing.  The name, 'first impressions,' was developed by me and a friend whom I worked with this past summer.  It turned out neither of us initiated conversation with each other for weeks into the summer because we were intimidated.  I have a bad habit of forming first impressions of people that aren't true.  Suffice to say I've been proved wrong about people many times in the past.  Maybe my readers will withhold judgement on me until they have met me...or at least read more than one post!  Sadly, I expect most of the people who will read this are people I already know.

The past few months have been entirely dedicated to school and training for my first triathlon.  I am taking two classes at UNC Greensboro, Biology and Physics, and am doing well in both of them.  Physics is rough, mostly cause I have not had the math in years and its not calculus based.  Biology has always been easy for me, and seeing how I have a 98 average after two exams, I don't imagine the rest of it will cause any problems.

The triathlon training has been going well too.  I started in late December, barely able to run three miles at a snail's pace.  The totals on the main page are what I have done since December, it has certainly been a journey.  Not many people can go out and ride 40 miles on a bike and run 3 at a fast pace directly after that, but I still consider myself out of shape.  The results have been tremendous over the first three months, so I am interested to see what they will be once June 21st rolls around, the date of my tri.  

I also started playing poker again.  After a fatal night by one of my friends on Full Tilt Poker (you know who you are!) its back to building a bankroll.  I deposited $100 on Poker Stars yesterday and have had two losing sessions thus far.  From time to time I will post interesting hands that come up.  I stick mostly to grinding out $4 180 man MTTs.  Takes a while to crack into the money, but the competition is weak-sauce and the payouts are good.  I've played three and failed to cash in any of them but not because of bad play.  We'll see what this weekend brings.

No comments: